I saw this "Parmesan puffs" recipe from a cookbook and curiosity got the better of me. How can these three ingredients come together to make a great snack? I had to make them.
Yum. In my opinion, it tastes like fried cheese. The puffs are soft, but crispy. And so good dipped in marinara sauce. They would also be great served with tomato soup.
The key to this recipe is beating the egg whites long enough that you get "stiff peaks." It'll take at least 5 minutes with a mixer.
I can't imagine attempting this kind of recipe before electric mixers where invented. I think my arm would fall off.
3-Ingredient Parmesan PuffsMakes about 12
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form (about 5 minutes).
- Gently fold the Parmesan cheese into the whipped egg whites.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat, then spoon the egg/cheese mixture in tablespoon dollops into the warmed oil.
- Brown on one side for about 3-4 minutes, then gently flip and brown the other side for an additional 2 minutes or so. Serve warm.
They taste great dipped in marinara! Or a sour cream dip would be excellent too.
Linking to: Link It or Lump It Party