I've been trying different substitutes and jicama has been my favorite so far to replace my beloved potato home fries.
In case you've never heard of it, this is a jicama:
It is a root vegetable in the yam family. However it's not starchy and is very low on the glycemic index. It is slightly sweet and the texture is similar to an apple. So very healthy. A lot of people like eating it raw, but I like to prepare it similar to the way I do for normal potato home fries.
Garlic Parmesan Jicama Fries
Ingredients1 1/2 pound jicama
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a paring knife, peel the jicama and then chop it into 1/4" matchsticks.
- In a bowl, combine the jicama, oil, garlic, and parmesan.
- Pour the jicama out onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for at least 45 minutes, up to an hour depending on how brown you like your fries.
- Immediately out of the oven, sprinkle the parsley over the fries and salt them to your taste.