The clean way is to use endive leaves as dippers. They are sturdy enough to withstand a heavier sauce without going limp. And their mild flavor does not interfere with the meaty sauce.
The really messy way is to use lettuce leaves as a wrap, but be ready with handful of napkins because you'll need every one of them.
Either way you choose to eat them, this sauce is hearty, rich, and sweet!
Paleo Sloppy JoesAdapted from Perry's Plate
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 endives
- Brown the hamburger with the onion over medium-high heat. Drain fat, if necessary.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the endive, then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with endive as dippers or lettuce leaves as a wrap.